Shopping Cart
Tana Scaffolding Tana Training

Helpful Information

Helpful Information for Students

Airport Collection

Your arrival information will be provided by your employer if you are coming to Tana Training for a short course.

Code of Practice for International Students

Check out the information provided in the Tana Training website (  which shows how Tana Training makes sure you’re well informed, safe and properly cared for. That’s why the New Zealand government has developed a Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students (the Code). Tana Training is a signatory to the Code, which provides a framework for service delivery by education providers and their agents to international students.

Even though you will only be attending 2 days of training with Tana Training, the school has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students. Copies of the Code are available from the NZQA website at


The employer who has arranged for you to come to New Zealand will have worked with you on the immigration aspects of your work.

Full details of:

  • immigration requirements,
  • advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and
  • reporting requirements are available from Immigration New Zealand and can be viewed on their website at

Tana Training Immigration Assistance

If you are concerned about your immigration status we suggest you contact NZ Immigration and the details can be found at:
If you are still unsure you can contact a consultant. Please note, as Tana Training only has international students for two days to do training related to their jobs we do not have dedicated consultants, but you will be able to source a consultant through either of these links:

Eligibility for Health Services

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health. These can be viewed on their website at

You need to discuss this with your employer.

Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents, and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs.  Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at
You need to discuss this with your employer.

Medical and Travel Insurance

International students (including workers who attend training through their employer) must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while in New Zealand.
You need to discuss this with your employer.

How do I Enrol?

If you have an enquiry about one of our courses, please fill out the online Enquiry Form and one of our team will be in touch soon.
You can also download the Enrolment Form here

Living and Food Costs in New Zealand

Your employer will have provided you with information about living costs in New Zealand.   The cost varies depending on the area in which you live but we suggest you allow about $300-$350 a week for food and living.
  • Transportation (bus/train) to the training for the two days will be about $10 to $20 – you will not quality for a student travel card
  • Food - you can enjoy food from all over the world while you’re here! The cheapest place to shop is usually the large supermarket chains, although you can get some great deals on fresh produce from local fruit and vegetable shops. New Zealand meat (including halal) can also be bought from local butcheries at competitive prices, and there are a host of locally-run ethnic stores. It’s much cheaper to buy food and cook at home than to eat out.
During your two days training at Tana Training you will need to bring your own lunch.
To estimate how much your weekly food budget would be go to to search for prices on food items. Compare the following items with eating out:
  • Bread $2- $4
  • Milk (1 litre) $2.50 - $3
  • Butter (500g) $ 5
  • Cheese 250g $5
  • Rice (1kg) $2.50
  • Takeaway meal (i.e. hamburger) $8 - $10
  • Café lunch $12 counter service
  • Café style cup of coffee $4.50
  • Ethnic meal e.g. Chinese, Korean @ food court - $7 - $10


Your employer will have worked with you to provide information on accommodation.
If you are having trouble with your accommodation, please talk with your employer or contact
This department is in place to help migrant workers.
Information about accommodation, if you are looking for some can be found at:
Please note: In New Zealand the Residential Tenancy Act of 1984 legislates the rights and responsibilities of landlords (property owners/agents) and tenants (person renting/boarding). It ensures arrangements are safe and ethical. This law DOES NOT apply when:
  • You’re living with the property owner and five other boarders or less (in this case, ask for the contract to include a clause that says the Residential Tenancy Act will apply).
  • There are disputes between tenants (rather than between the landlord and tenant). If there’s a problem that can’t be resolved, you can contact the Ministry of Justice Disputes Tribunal.

Useful Websites

New Zealand Immigration has a great website tool to help you get the information you need prior to coming to New Zealand:

NZ Ready

Student Support

Helpful Agencies/ Organisations/Services:

There are numerous groups from which you can get help, or we can help you to access a translator at:
Ciao Chen - Bachelor of Business English and Graduate Diploma in Event Communication.

Mobile: 021525886

General Advice

The Citizens Advice Bureau has a Justice of the Peace, who can verify copies of important documents. Phone 0800 367222.

Rental Advice

If you choose to rent a house by yourself or share a rental property with other people (“go flatting”), you will have to sign a contract or lease. If you have any questions about your rights and regulations as a tenant, contact your employer or call the tenancy phone line: Call 0800 TENANCY (0800 83 62 62). Language support is available.

Legal Advice

For information on how to get legal advice go to:

Health Advice and Doctors

For medical assistance you can review the information at:

What you need to have in New Zealand

Check below for what’s provided as part of your fees and what you’ll need to buy yourself.

Provided by Tana Training

To be brought by the student

High visibility vest, Helmet, tea, coffee, drinking water, biscuits Work wear, safety footwear (steel capped boots)
Course material - workbooks and assessments, pen Lunch


Forgot password?
Create an Account