Shopping Cart
Tana Scaffolding Tana Training

International - Frequently Asked Questions

What language is spoken in New Zealand?

The official languages of New Zealand are English and Maori. English is the main language spoken in New Zealand. It can be confusing when you first arrive in New Zealand as New Zealanders often speak quite quickly, use local slang and also mix a few Maori words and phrases into their everyday conversation. If you do not understand, or if someone is talking too fast please ask them to speak more slowly. You will find most people are happy to help you to understand.

What time do businesses open and close?

Although businesses are only open Monday to Friday, stores are almost always open on Saturday also. Shopping malls are open seven days a week. Stores and shopping malls generally open at 9am and close at 5.30pm. Thursday and Friday are often late-night shopping evenings and most stores and shopping malls are open until 9pm. Banks are open Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4.30pm. Some banks are also open on Saturday until midday, some banks in shopping malls may also be open on Sundays.

Will I need a New Zealand bank account?

Having a New Zealand bank account makes your financial life much easier to manage while you are in NZ. It is also essential for having your wages paid while working in New Zealand. If you need assistance, your employer should guide you on how to open a bank account during your first week with them.

Can I bring food into the country with me?

NO It is safest not to bring any food into the country as New Zealand has very, very strict rules about what food you can bring with you. New Zealand is an island nation that relies on farming as its main source of income.  Bringing food from another country can sometimes introduce bugs to New Zealand.  This is very bad for the country and the economy.

What sort of clothing should I bring?

Your employer will outline what clothing you will require on the job.  In your two-day training course, you need to wear a high visibility vest, hard hat and safety steel capped boots.
As the weather in New Zealand can be changeable, you should bring a variety of casual clothing that can be used in warm and cold weather, as well as in wet weather.

What is the weather like in Auckland?

Auckland enjoys a lot of different weather and it can be very changeable.   Temperatures range between 20-30ºC in summer and between 5-15ºC in winter. 

What documents should I bring with me?

Your employer will have advised your about documents you need for NZ. .
When you come to the training course you will need to bring your passport to show a photo ID.

Can I start my course and then organise my visa afterwards?

No. It is very important that you have a valid visa before you come to NZ. If your visa has expired, we cannot have you attend the Tana Training course.

Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through Immigration New Zealand, and can be viewed on their website at

What is the Code of Practice?

The Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students is an important document from the New Zealand Ministry of Education. It sets standards for the pastoral care of all international students studying in New Zealand.  TANA Training has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students as published by the Minister of Education even though students are only with TANA Training for two days. Copies of the code are available to download from the New Zealand Ministry of Education website at: We have copies and summaries of the code available for you to read in different languages.

Do I always have to speak English?

Yes. While you are in the course at Tana Training you will be expected to speak in English.

What if I have a complaint?

Come and talk to us – any one of us.  We will discuss the problem with you. Whomever you talk to will also be able to advise you about how the complaints procedure works.

Is there any extra English help available during my course?

Yes. If you require assistance while at Tana Training, you will be able to speak to our trainer / assessor Dan Tana 027 652 4213.

How are the fees that I have paid protected?

Fees paid for your course are paid by your employer or directly online via credit card.  Security information can be found at

What happens if Tana Training is unable to deliver my tuition?

We use Public Trust's Fee Protection service to provide an independent trust account for the protections of your student fees.  In the unlikely event Tana Training should fail to complete the course (due to insolvency, closure or course cancellation), Public Trust will refund the fee to the student or to Studylink, if a loan has been taken by the student.  Where at all possible the course or training module will be offered at alternative times and dates. If clients / participants are not able to attend alternative courses or training modules, all fees less the administration fee for that course or training module will be refunded.

How are the fees that I have paid protected?

Fees paid by students are banked into a Trust Account operated by Public Trust.  More about their terms and conditions can be found here:
For more information about Public Trust and Fee Protection go to

Who can help me if I have a problem while I’m studying?

Tana Training personnel can provide advice on a broad range of matters such as banking, accommodation, public transport, visa and insurance information.

What will happen during my two days study?

Your two days training will include:
• Face to face training in theory and practical demonstrations
• Power point presentations
• Internet examples of relevant material
• Group discussions
• Theory and practical tests
• Student feedback

What happens if I do not come to class

In this case, we have to inform your employer as they are responsible for your training.

What happens if I withdraw from my course?

We will inform your employer if you leave the training.

How do I pay my fees?

The training fees are paid by your employer.

Do I have to have medical insurance?

Yes. International workers must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while they are in New Zealand. For more information please see the “Health and Welfare” section.

How many students will be in my class?

Our normal class sizes are between 8 and 12.

How can I contact Tana Training?

You can also contact the school at any time to get assistance.
Rima Cooper – bookings, grievances, general enquiries
Business Developer – 021 985 555
Email address:

Landline: 09 236 3805 

Dan Tana – Course content enquiries, advantages, relevancies to other courses,
Trainer / Assessor – 0276 524 213
Email address:

Landline: 09 236 3805


Forgot password?
Create an Account